Cobham Mission Systems have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Stress Engineer to join the stress office.
You will be supporting all product lines within the business with a focus on composite design, analysis and manufacture. Composite structures in use are glass and carbon prepreg layups with various combinations of co-cured or bonded joints. It is expected that the role will also provide the opportunity to work on, or develop, the applicants experience working on metallic structures.
This role is based from Wimborne, Dorset.
We are able to offer flexible working arrangements, such as working remotely with attendance on site on an agreed basis as required.
As a Senior Stress Engineer, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Use of MSC suite of software (PATRAN, NASTRAN, APEX) or use of NASTRAN solver with other pre and post software. Other FEA software experience may be considered.
- Competent user of MS office suite of software.
- Use of MS Word templates, formatting, referencing when preparing reports
- Presentation of their work at design reviews using power point presentations.
- Use of Excel for data processing and analysis
- Ideally you should have SC Clearance or be able to obtain it once on board
Ideally, you will have worked in aerospace industry but this is not mandatory if you are able to demonstrate strong understanding of the following:
- Support to composite design process working with design engineers
- Building FE models, running analysis, post processing and authoring of reports for composite structures
- Static strength and fatigue analysis of composites structures utilising hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis techniques as appropriate
- Ability to write stress reports to demonstrate compliance of composite structures to meet structural and performance requirements
- Understanding of drawing change process and assessment of appreciable effect (fit, form, function) with respect to non-compliances or drawing changes
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings for composite structures
It would also be beneficial if you have experience in the following areas:
- Use of an LCM system such as SmarTeam or Windchill
- Dynamic analysis / impact analysis
- Knowledge of developing composite technologies
- Optimisation techniques for composite design
- Vibration analysis / frequency response analysis
- CAD user able to open and manipulate 3D parts where required to assist with FEM
As a Senior Stress Engineer, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Ownership of all stress deliverables to meet design review entry requirements
- Stress signatory for drawing issue
- Stress signatory for non-conformance reports
- Support to manufacturing engineering team in support of production
- Support to concessions and design modifications
- Mentor less experienced engineers / graduate (the role does not have line management responsibility)
- Prepare estimates to complete stress packages of work (new bids / modifications to existing products)
- Preparation and management of work packages to be outsourced to 3rd party engineering outsource providers
- Pieces of work within project teams including the R&D; function to provide subject matter expertise for new product development using existing or new composite materials
- Review existing FEM and reports and investigate / analysis deviations and changes to the design.
About Cobham Mission Systems
As the world’s leading supplier of critical control solutions, we help our customers to increase the safety and mission capabilities of their personnel and equipment in extreme environments.
Our proven and trusted solutions in air-to-air refuelling, life support, weapons carriage and unmanned systems, deliver assured performance and class-leading through-life costs that enable our customers to bring complex projects to market quickly, and with minimal risk.
We offer challenging and rewarding roles across a wide range of disciplines that combine to make us a true global technology and service leader.
Our ethos is rooted firmly in our history of innovation, leadership and empowerment and we take great pride in solving the big problems that others can’t. If it can be done we can find a way.
We believe in operating as a team, both among ourselves and alongside our partners. And we believe in pushing our potential to its very limit.
After all, we did not get to where we are now, nor will we succeed in the future, by being unambiguous or complacent. For us, Every Mission Matters.
What You Can Expect From Us
We offer an excellent salary and benefits package which includes an annual bonus, employer matched pension scheme of up to 12%, 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays with options to buy/sell 5 days per year, company funded life cover of 3x salary and income protection scheme as well as a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme. In addition, we offer a wide range of additional benefits through our Cobham Choice Benefit Portal covering Health & Wellbeing benefits, Insurances, Cycle Scheme, Gym Flex, Technology Scheme and discounted Retail Vouchers to name a few.
If successful, you will be required to pass a criminal record check and a security clearance.
Working at CMS Wimborne
Click Here to watch a video to see what we do and hear from colleagues what life is like at our Wimborne site.
Check out our website and our LinkedIn page to find out more.