Cobham is seeking an Engineering Operations Manager to identify, manage, and drive actions critical to the design and development process and San Jose’s Multi-function Microwave Solutions (MMS) business performance. This includes engineering design and planning processes, design tools, engineering metrics, continuous improvement, and coordination with operations and IT. The San Jose MMS business is experiencing exciting growth with a very strong engineering team encompassing 40 engineering professionals including RF, Digital/DSP, Mechanical, and Test Development engineers, engineering assistants and CCA and mechanical designers.
This manager will report to the Director of Engineering, and is located in San Jose, CA. The ideal candidate is someone with a broad engineering, operations, business, and continuous improvement background that has experience in managing engineering compliance and rigor, and has proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to achieve operational results. Join our team of highly skilled RF, Digital, Test, Mechanical and Project Engineers to develop and manufacture advanced microwave and millimeter wave subsystems, hybrid modules, circuit card assemblies and components for narrow and broad bandwidth military and commercial applications.
In this position, you will be the operations point of contact for items escalated to design engineering, ensure adherence to design processes and procedures, operate as an independent design review chair, work with engineering and finance to maintain and optimize resource planning, help manage engineering tool licenses, and manage and maintain engineering Key Process Indicators (KPIs). You will contribute to refining the engineering organization to support increasing growth. Depending on depth of RF experience and availability, there could be opportunities to mentor product engineers and/or design engineers executing obsolete parts re-designs.
• Ensure compliance to, and help optimize, engineering design requirements and processes in coordination with the Director of Engineering and Engineering Managers. This includes design review criteria and checklists, and Standard Operation Framework-Engineering (SOF-E) and Life Cycle Management (LCM) tools,.
• Manage the use and completion of design tools and checklists, and function as an independent design review chair to drive increased design rigor and process adherence, and consistent application of engineering best practices. Assure that reviews are held and that artifacts are archived. Oversee engineering support of ISO audit requirements.
• Work with the Project Engineers and Program Managers to update and maintain the resource planning tool to optimize staff utilization and comprehensively project resource needs to support the increasing growth.
• Work with the MMS financial analysts to optimize the tool for improved management of development program execution.
• Work with the Engineering Director to re-establish, monitor, and manage engineering metrics collection, analysis, and improvement initiatives, to measure and drive engineering performance and improve engineering effectiveness and efficiencies.
• Work with CAES staff to manage and maintain design tools and interface with local IT. Manage engineering interface with IT for provisioning and maintenance of engineering servers, workstations, PCs, specialized engineering licenses, and other engineering needs.
• Function as the Operations point of contact with engineering, representing engineering at operations Gemba and escalation meetings. Coordinate engineering support for production needs, including production readiness reviews (PRRs) and root cause / corrective action (RCCA) investigations. Provide RCCA oversight and assure closure, including application of corrective actions and / or continuous improvement actions to other associated products / programs / processes. Set expectations for engineering support of operations and supply chain visual boards.
• Determine activities to be performed by production test engineering versus design engineering, expanding as production test engineering capability matures.
• Mentor design and, or, product engineers in obsolete part re-designs, providing guidance on rigor, completeness, and structuring internal and customer reviews.
• Ability to lead and infuse high performance and execution rigor into engineering teams, enthusing a strong focus on external/internal customer satisfaction and speed to market.
• Experience in driving engineering processes, practices, and measures of performance and proven track record with continuous improvement achievements in engineering organizations,
• Ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders, including the cross BA engineering team, ensuring “cross-pollination” of insights and experiences
• Strong communication skills, employing diplomacy, confidence and tact. Assertive without antagonism or alienation. Role model and actively cascade this competency requirement throughout the Engineering function, ensuring effective design discussions at all levels.
• Ability to work within a matrixed management structure in an agile and non-siloed manner.
• Ability to make impactful decisions in complex and ambiguous situations, often with incomplete data
• Ability to strongly mediate when there are diverse and conflicting needs in order to achieve mutually agreed outcomes
• Ability to role-model for the organization in line with Cobham’s SPIRIT values, exhibiting strong leadership behavior and emotional intelligence – leaning forward to positively address and change prevailing cultures
• BSEE degree and 5 (five) + years of relevant experience (or MS and 3+ years)
• 2 (two) + years designing and deploying complex RF assemblies and sub-systems.
• US Citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance
• Successful track record leading technical teams
• Project Engineering or Program Management experience
• Previous experience managing design engineers
• Experience in the use of relevant RF Design tools (linear, non-linear, EM 3D, and Time Domain)
o Ex. ADS, MWO, Momentum, Sonnet, HFSS, and Spice
• Experience with RF test equipment and instruments
o Ex. Vector Network Analyzer, Spectrum Analyzer, Oscilloscopes, etc.)
Founded in 1934 by aviation innovator Sir Alan Cobham, our values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us to become a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. It's the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you!
If you are authorized to work in the United States, then we encourage you to apply. We are unable to sponsor work visas. In order to be eligible for positions requiring a Security Clearance, you must be a US Citizen.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
The EEO is the Law poster is available here and the poster supplement is available here.
The Pay Transparency Policy is available here.
Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to CAEScareer@cobham.com or call (703) 842-2971 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.